Sunday 22 August 2010

The Carpet

 
Its 11am on a Saturday evening. My parents have gone to bed and I decide its time to watch friends. What better combination than pop corn and friends? So I set to work making pop corn. After a few minute of labouring I sit down to enjoy a saucepan of popcorn.

I put down the saucepan on the carpet and start to eat, whilst thinking I have a bit of a headache and I can smell a really bad burning smell. I open the curtains and look outside but see no sign of a fire. Hmmmmm. I then go into the kitchen and check the gas isn't on. Well, I think to myself that’s strange isn't it... I continue to eat. It’s the episode of friends where Joey gets locked into a draw, a good parallel in terms of stupidity. I still haven't made the somewhat obvious, primary school link between hot pan and melting carpet. I check the back of the TV and look back at the pan. I have one of those moment that Thomas Edison must have had when he perfected the light bulb. I remember saying out loud nooooooooooooooo? I picked the saucepan up and found a great deal of resistance. I pull the pan from the carpet whilst falling over. I think to myself it’s ok no one saw. I look down to find 'made in great Britain' now imprinted on the carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment